Monday, November 21, 2011

Breaking.

The Khmer Rouge government is responsible for the death of 1.7 million people under the regime of Pol Pot. Over 30 years later, the remaining 3 senior leaders are finally being tried in a tribunal court for charges that include crimes against humanity, genocide, torture, religious persecution and homocide. Finally, justice is being served.

When I was in Cambodia, I had the opportunity to witness a glimpse of the atrocities performed during this government when I visited the prisoner camps and the killing fields. It's something that hit close to the heart. I saw the faces of children, men and women who were forced to kill and those who were killed. I saw the skulls, clothes, weapons...stepped into the rooms that were used to torture victims into confessions. The country went through so much because of the corruption under this regime. The scope of its magnitude is unimaginable.

I remember in the S-21 prison camps I read of how the ruler of this regime, Pol Pot, died in 1998. There were still others responsible for the leadership of this government who were not convicted. Finally, they are being tried in court. After 30 years, justice for the Khmer people and all those affected by this tragic period in history.

photos from the S-21 prisons in Phnom Phen
taken by my iPhone

Read more about the story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15814519

0 comments:

Post a Comment