Sunday, December 25, 2011

Rewind, review.

Since things have slowed down a lot, giving this blog some lovin.

1st things 1st. Here's my FNF recap. My entire year of tireless work, stress, at times frustration wounded down to a 3-hour event. In retrospect, I cannot believe I sacrificed so much of my time, grades, energy, mental stability for a years worth of non-paid volunteer work. But I then am reminded of what brought me to join this organization in the first place.

I once had a vivid dream of being trafficked into the drug industry. This dream so vivid and clear that it felt close to reality. I knew how it felt to feel trapped in a life that I didn't ask for. I felt the emotions of fear, despair and pain so deeply. I knew it was something that God had shown me to allow me to get involved with the issue of human trafficking.

When I did my own research about human trafficking and found out so much more about this industry, there was no way I could not get involved. It's uncomfortable to realize that women and children are being exploited for sex and labor all around the world, but it's our responsibility to recognize these issues and help bring solutions.

FNF brings together different organizations that are fair trade and/or working to provide fair wages to women and children who have been rescued from sex slavery, giving them economic opportunities and a sustainable income. God is def working with this organization to bring a lot of awareness and restoration in people's lives.

I was really in over my head this year as both the Event and Sponsorship coordinator. I was a full-time student, finishing my internship at the LA Superior Court, and maintaining a part-time job. I was so close to losing myself and there are many times when I had been pushed to my limits. But I preservered and stuck with my commitment. Through this year, I've been tested and tried, but ultimately molded and redesigned into a dramatically different person-- in my walk with Christ, my professionalism, my perspectives, in so many different aspects of my life.

It's been an amazing year and I don't regret any part of it. I hope more people can hear and learn about how human trafficking affects people internationally, domestically, and also locally. There are so many resources, even just online. So many organizations who do amazing work for rescued victims that people can volunteer for. There are contributions you can make to organizations like FNF or IJM. Getting involved is so easy, and I'm so glad I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment