Sunday, May 20, 2012

Deutschland: Aachen

This post is way, way overdue. After my trip to Prague, I took a flight to Aachen, Germany to visit my uncle (mom's cousin).  I hadn't seen my uncle in about 5-6 years. First, A little background on this whole "Korean uncle in Germany" situation. My uncle is a badass! He was a world champion Tae Kwon Do player and moved to Germany to open a practice in the city of Aachen. He was only going to stay for a few years before moving to California, but he began investing in businesses and real estate and made a comfortable life for himself in Germany. He ended up never leaving and has now been living in Germany for over 30 years. His 3 daughters, my cousins, were born and raised in Germany and are fluent in German... all of whom I've never met by the way. All the more room for bonding and making new relationships. 
Night flight as the sun is setting. 
My uncle's man cave where he dedicates 90% of his time watching German news.
The first meal I had when I arrived at my uncle's house was this. Traditional Korean food that I'd been deprived of for the longest time. I almost shed a few tears of joy... and quickly proceeded to destroy this in about 3 minutes.
My auntie is such a boss. I swear she is the only person in this city that was driving with a top-down lol.
Aachen is an extremely small town (well, compared to Rome) and I got to see almost the entire main city in a matter of 1 hour. 
The Cathedral in Aachen was so unexpectedly gorgeous! This is probably the main attraction for any tourists. Just look at that thing.
Little German kiddos eating their ice cream.
Center of the cathedral square
Kind of makes me laugh at how small this city is compared to Rome. The font is at least a size 26 and you can see every single street lol.
This was one of the attractions listed on the map. I was excited to see it until I got there and realized they were just 3 ordinary columns without any historical significance....
One of the greatest feelings is not having to worry about time or money and just spending quality time with yourself. And it doesn't hurt that you're in the beautiful city of Aachen. Ordered some coffee and read in front of this square for a good hour or so.
You know, I was actually really scared to try gelato, or "ice cream", in Germany... but this was actually really delicious. Del Negro has to be the best gelato I've had outside of Italy.
The Haribo tastes dramatically different in Germany than it does in the states. I don't know why or how, it just tastes amazing.
One of the days, my oldest cousin invited me, my aunt and uncle to her apartment in East Aachen for dinner. I've never met her son or husband before, and was so excited to meet both of them.
First course is served by my cousin Sue. 
The view from her balcony.
My nephew Noah is the cutest thing alive. I fell in love with him. He's half Korean, half German and speaks German. Future heartbreaker for sure.
Noah, sitting at the head of the table.
He's adorable. He wouldn't stop playing with my iPhone. I'm so glad I met Noah, it makes me want to visit Germany again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment