Thursday, March 1, 2012

Southern Tuscany

One of my favorite trips this month has to have been the trip to Tuscany organized by SAI, my study abroad program. Our weekend trip to the region of Maremma in Southern Tuscany was one of the most relaxing weekends of the year. We stayed at the resort, Residence Terme di Sorano where we ate local traditional food, enjoyed our thermal baths, massages, rode on horses through a winery, and tasted local wine and cheese. SAI also took us to visit the towns of Sovana & Pitigliano which were some of the most unique and interesting places I've ever been to. The quaint town of Pitligano was one of my favorite places I've been to in Italy, if not Europe. The best part about this entire weekend was that everything was inclusive...(in other words, free!) Everything from our mini-tours, transportation, meals, activities were all included and provided for by the program. It was nice to enjoy a planned trip instead of doing the planning and organizing myself.

We first stopped for lunch at a little restaurant in a town called Montefiascone.
This restuarant was sitting right above a beautiful lake, offering the tastiest organic local foods.
This was our view, Lake Bolsena...Italy's largest volcanic lake. Absolutely breathtaking.
The interior was my favorite part of this entire restaurant. The furniture looked like it was ordered straight out of a Crate & Barrel / Pottery Barn catalog.
Best setting for a quiet lunch.
Put on some pounds but they're happy pounds :-)
Next stop, Civita di Bagnoregio.
Breathtaking. This town is on top of a volcanic hill and will probably be uninhabited in 50 years. Current population: 80 people
We finally reached our destination: Residence Terme di Sorano. We stayed in these villas that had 2 bedrooms, a living room and a full kitchen.
 
Thermal waters from Lake Bolsena. Completely natural waters that originate from volcanic activity under the earth's surface
  Michelina and I in the thermal baths. Soaking up the minerals and enjoying the beautiful sunset!
 
The next morning a group of 6 of us went horse back riding in the wine fields!
Me and my horse, Marlino. He hated me.
Next we went to the town of Sovana to visit some Estruscan ruins dating back to 700 BCE!
The Duomo in Sovana.
I never realized how much I loved the countryside til I visited Tuscany รง:
 
 
One of the coolest towns I visisted was Pitigliano. It was such a cool place with amazing food and the most incredible views. Watching the sunset from this place was just breathtaking.
Pitigliano from afar.
Possibly my favorite part of the weekend was wine tasting in Villa Corano di Stefano. The owner Stefano himself gave us a tasting of some of his wines with delicious bruschetta and cheese.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment