Monday, January 16, 2012

Where Am I?

Mail me: Elisa Choi
Via Ippolito Nievo 12, Scala A, int. 14
00153 Rome, Italy

Call me: (From US) 011 39 366 679 1365

Skype me: elisa.choi

KakaoTalk: elllyc

Ciao, Italy is unreal. I wake up each morning confused for about 5 seconds wondering where I am. Then I look out my window to viale de Trastevere and realize that I'm in the most amazing city in the world. I'm slowly getting accustomed to life in Roma. I've been going in and out of gelaterias and pizzerias, trying to pin down my favorite spots. I've discovered this snack called "suppli", a delicious ball of hot sticky rice, pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. I wish they had these in the US. Too good.

The gelato here is just...indescribably amazing. I love a nice cold dessert in the summer, but I don't mind eating the gelato here in 45 degree weather. It's that good. I started a stamp card at a local gelateria and I have no doubt that it'll be filled up in no time. 

I started stocking up on groceries at a local supermarket called "Simply". It's smaller than your average supermarket. There are like 7 aisles total, one of which is dedicated entirely to pasta noodles. (Thought that was pretty funny). The area in the back that would normally have meats is dedicated entirely for cheese! And of course you have the liquor aisle which has every variety of wine imaginable. 

Here is the pasta aisle. I had no idea there were so many different types of pasta noodles. They're all different shapes and sizes. The possibilities are endless.

I made some homemade pasta after my little trip to "Simply". What I do love about cooking in Italy is that everything is so fresh. I used fresh basil (which smelled and tasted great) and freshly grated parmesan cheese. But I really do need to take some cooking lessons here because that pasta was terrible.

Lastly, this cute little Nokia phone from the 90's has been my only means of communicating with friends in Italy. I haven't seen a phone with keypads in the longest. It's been a fun(ny) adjustment to say the least. If you call me using the number above, it'll come straight to this little Nokia phone. 

So far so blessed. Life is beautiful. I'm enjoying my time here, but I miss a lot of people back at home. Can't wait to send out postcards! xoxo. ciao~

2 comments:

  1. Gahhhhh gelato... nociola & pistacchio... Have you had it in the brioche bread yet?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is nociola = mango? Nooo, what is brioche bread. Wait, I just got SO EXCITED!

      Delete