Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What happens in Naples...

Oh Naples. Where do I begin. What was supposed to be a day trip to Naples, turned into an extended overnight trip. We had miraculously boarded our train from Rome, despite the lack of public transportation running due to the snow which made it almost impossible for us to get to the train station. We finally got to Naples and were greeted with clear skies and the beautiful sun (which we hadn't seen in so long). It was about to be a perfect day filled with all the pizza and pastries.
At Piazza Garibaldi right outside the train station.
Old town feel. 
Bundled up tight, wearing 2 thick jackets, long sleeve and the warmest scarf I own. It was probably only 50 degrees and still freezing. #CaliGirl
Naples is definitely dirtier than Rome, which says a lot. But I also think it adds to its character.
And the food aventures begin. 


1st stop: Pizzeria. After going in circles trying to pin down the perfect pizzeria for lunch, we ended up in this lovely upstairs restaurant with the most amazing view of the coast. Surprisingly decent food that was relatively inexpensive. 

 We all got delicious food, but Matt's choice was the most interesting. Ricotta cheese and prosciutto calzone.
2nd stop: Chalet Ciro Mergellina. This little pastry shop in the middle of downtown Naples and posted right next to the coast had some of the most mouth-watering pastries I've seen and tasted. I thought my selections were great, but my friends impressed me with their choices. The best pastry I had was the Graffe donuts. Incomparable to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts.
Sfogliatelle
Chocolate on the outside, nocciola (hazelnut) gelato on the inside
3rd stop: Street corn vendor. I had been so deprived of street food after living in Italy for a few weeks. I usually have street food or Mexican food at least once a week, so I almost jumped up when I saw this vendor. My corn with covered with butter and all sorts of other fatty condiments. #4monthsnojudgment
4th stop: World famous Di Matteo pizza. I had the popular Ripieno Fritto (Fried calzone pizzas) which was delicious and so worth the walk. 
Naples is such an underrated place. We came more down town and ate next to the most beautiful coast. We explored the city for the rest of the night walking from downtown all the way down to the center (near Piazza Garibaldi). Watching the sun set along the coast was probably one of the most refreshing things I've seen after all that snow in Rome.
The night ended with us taking the train back to Rome as planned at 930pm with us talking about how lovely the trip was and how much pizza we ate in 5 hours. In another dimension. We never got on the train. It was cancelled due to "severe weather conditions" up North. This is where the night started to get really interesting. The first train running back up north was at 655am. We decided that the best thing to do was stay in a hotel overnight. Unfortunately all but one hotel next to the train station was willing to accomodate 9 people. That very hotel happened to be...Hotel Mignon. Watch what happened here:
Never again, Naples.

0 comments:

Post a Comment